01/10/2011

Blood is thicker than water and maybe space/time...?

I don't do the whole family thing particularly well. Don't get me wrong, I adore my Mum, she's my best mate. And I care deeply for my twin brothers and sister, and my Auntie Jane. Then there's my step-dad John and his Mother, Jean. My immediate family you might say. That is where the sense of obligation starts and ends for me though.

I live on my own and have done since before I went to Uni in 1994. Student house-sharing doesn't count. I do what I want, when I want, and that's how I like it.

I have been described as free-spirited (I know it's a bit cringe-worthy, but I quite like it), or fiercely independent (which I like better). Indeed, the following incident demonstrates this perfectly:

Last December I slipped on the ice and broke my shoulder. It is called a displaced proximal humerus fracture. Yep, the top of this bone snapped in two. Ouch is right! It bloody hurt and I struggled to get up from sitting down, getting out of bed and couldn't wash or brush my hair adequately without my Mum's help (aww my hero) for about 5 weeks. I felt frail & vulnerable. I reluctanctly agreed to stay at my Mum's for a few days. After 3 nights, I came back home.

I need, nay crave my own space. If I have spent too much time in the company of others I get the opposite of cabin fever. I'm not agoraphobic, I just like to feel completely centred for as much of the time as I possibly can. This requires me to feel as comfortable as possible with the people I spend my time with, without sounding like a complete stuck up biatch. 

So, the thought of spending time with extended family purely out of a sense of obligation, when I could be chilling on my own just ain't for me. My Mum has been back in touch with long-lost family members over last few years or so. And whilst it has been nice to see my cousins and catch up, I haven't really made an effort to stay in touch or build up relationships.

I like my little bubble of a life. It wouldn't be for everyone, but I just wanna be me.


My sister and I



1 comment:

  1. We have a frightening amount in common! I react in exactly the same way to similar situations.

    ReplyDelete